Monday, May 30, 2005

New Topic At Hand!

maybe it'll get rejected, but oh well:

Books.
Favorite book(s) EVER.
Favorite book that you had to read in highschool.
Favorite book you had to read in ALL of your schooling.
Book that you actually wished you HAD read (either it wasn't assigned or you did Sparknotes, or the like)
Book that you've reread the most.
and anything else that anyone feels like answering.....

Elaborate on any or all answers.

and here we go..... (i figured id post without waiting to see the rejection votes)
Ok... So I'm gunna modify the guidelines I set up a little with whatever comes to mind...

2 Favorite books read recently: The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Chbosky) and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Safron Foer). To see comments on Perks, see my blog, which i would put a link for, but I'm not skilled like that. So it's somewhere on the right of your screen. Extremely Loud was great - I saw Jonathan Safron Foer come speak at BC, then bought his book and read it. It's really a great read - I definitely recommend it: The short version - It's told (mostly) by a young boy who's father just died in the World Trade Center, and he goes on a quest throughout NYC to track down information about his father that might reveal a little bit more about him. A lot more interesting that I can surmise here.

Book that I wish I read in highschool - Catcher in the Rye - I read it anyway, but it should have been assigned in class. Great book, which obviously doesn't even need to be said.

I remember before highschool liking most of the books read in school, because I actually did work in my classes and actually read the books back then. But a think a few that definitely top the list are The Pinballs which I read in like kindergarten or first grade on my own, but it was assigned in I think somewhere between 3rd and 5th grade. GREAT book. Oh man, and who can forget - How to Eat Fried Worms?! C'mon, now that's a classic work of literature!! lol But I think 2 of my all-time favorite, non-HS books that I can think of right now would have to be THE WESTING GAME - 7th grade maybe? and The Call of the Wild - 8th. The Westing Game was the shit. I'm gunna hafta read that again soon. Ah, and of course- who can forget The Outsiders! Oh yeah! And in elem. school - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! Of course! (still working on the full Chronicles of Narnia, Gong.) I've also heard The Lion... is being made into a movie soon.

In elementary school, I was a HUGE fan of those books... I wish I could remember what they were called... something about like, My Dance Teacher's a Werewolf, and someone else is a vampire, or a goul ...... stuff like that... and it was always the same kids, like a series. If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, let me know.

Favorite highschool books that I actually read - Probably Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies. Both 9th grade. I recently re-read LOTF. Fucked up shit, that book is. I liked (from what I actually read of it) Catch 22 too. And Speight (i think) assigned a Sherlock Holmes book once; that was good too.

I WISH I had read The Great Gatsby and a Tale of Two Cities. Hopefully one day I'll get around to reading those, because I feel like they're important to read, for one reason or another.

Definitely have read the HP's the most.... Or Sideways Stories from Wayside School - Was that what those couple books were called? Remember those?? Those were awesome! I remember in elem. school Louis Sachar (sp?) wrote a sequel, or prequel, I'm not sure, to the original, and I was really excited and bought it. I've lost it since then. Must add that to my list of to-read as well.

I'm not sure I can really list a thorough yet select group of "favorites," though. I hate to be biased. See facbook if you care. Which I know you don't, because I wouldn't either lol.

Well, I think that's enough writing about reading. Share if you dare! (I was gunna write "share if you want," but I figured a rhyme was more clever (but not really though))