Thursday, June 02, 2005

Say Book Five Times Fast.

Books are a lovely thing when they actually interest you. I use to read every book on my bookshelf when I was younger, I use to like the book of poems called "It's inside my sisters lunch". Sometimes I think some of my strangeness comes from those poems. Anyway here goes my list of book stuff.

I love the Phantom Tollbooth. By far one of the best books I've ever read, and an all time favorite. I also liked Also the Harry Potter series for some reason makes me so happy. I laugh, I cry (a little), I learn. No I don't learn. I also very much enjoy the Da Vinci Code, but for some reason never got through Angels and Demons. Recently I havn't read much due to general schneiders stronghold on our reading but I loved Catch 22 and thought it was hyterical. Good stuff.
I want to read this Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Safron Foer) book. I heard that Jen thinks I need to read it, then Karen likes it? Looks like a good deal to me. Very excited about that.
For school I read Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison and I really enjoyed it. It was a violent, sometimes difficult to follow book but I, for some reason, found the story to be very interesting and very comprehenzive about the struggles of a young african american male to be educated in a rough time period (50's to 60'sish, not sure exactly). Long read, but good.
To comment on some comments, I also loved a Wrinkle in Time. I like that kind of genre I think, I use to read ahead in that book in seventh grade. Good stuff, as Speight would say. I also like the book Redwall by Brian Jacques. Thats like an epic hero novel, but its about a mouse. I don't know, its a little odd, but I really enjoyed it. There were a whole bunch of other novels in the series but that one in particular really was awesome, I thought.
Of course, my favorite book of 11th grade was The Great Gatsby. Everyone from Johnsy remembers my facination with that story. I also stole my favorite quote from a book from that novel:

No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.

So to sum it up, I've read lots of good books, and I'm sure there are more out there. Good topic Karen, we all wrote a diesel amount this week. I hate listing favorites though, because I always feel like I missed something.